Outdoor Life Magazine, the 116 year-old outdoor standard, announced today it awarded Powderhook its 2014 Open Country Corporate Award. The award, given to one company each year, recognizes leading contributions in the fight to create and preserve access, and the sporting way of life. Powderhook, an online resource for helping people find hunting and fishing groups, events, spots, and trips, is recognized by the magazine for bringing a revolutionary approach to a long-standing problem. According to US Fish and Wildlife, 49% of hunters would go more often if they had better access. Continue reading POWDERHOOK NAMED 2014 OUTDOOR LIFE ‘OPEN COUNTRY AWARD’ WINNER
How many of these are you thankful for this holiday season?
Right to Bear Arms: Protecting yourself, your land, your family and others is incredibly important and part of the foundation that build this country. Social policies are changing but our second amendment right is nothing to compromise on. Continue reading 8 Things a Sportsman Should be Thankful For This Year
The anti-hunting movement has overwhelmed the consciousness of the hunting industry. Hunters, hunting land, firearms, and the sporting way of life are under attack politically and socially. Millions of hunt-able acres are shut down in Oregon to protect the spotted owl. Lead ammunition is banned in California. Increasingly legislators, not biologists, are making wildlife management decisions. Professional huntress Melissa Bachman receives threatening messages to this day, over a year removed from the day she posted her now-famous lion photo. A deceptive foe, the Humane Society of the United States, seems to gain momentum even in the face of science, ethics and reason. The negativity and pressure has taken its toll, leaving industry leaders frustrated and searching for answers. A way of life once mandatory to sustain life is now fighting for its own life.
According to John Frampton, industry veteran and leader of the Council to Advance Hunting and Shooting Sports, “we’ve got to do something drastic or hunting as we know it won’t exist for future generations.”
Long known for their habitat work, Ducks Unlimited members have taken to directly aiding our feathered friends. They’re stopping traffic, they’re diving through manholes, they’re risking life and limb… watch the video, you’ll see! Continue reading Ducks Unlimited members take to the streets
These might have been the best tacos I have ever tasted. Continue reading Braised Venison Barbacoa Tacos
- Where storing non-food items in a cooler and your frozen deer steaks outside is the norm.
- Deer camp, the one time a year it takes you longer to get dressed than a pack of 5 year olds and their mothers.
- The biggest threat to your hunting trip is a fogged scope, only because you can’t get buck fever when you can’t see the deer.
- Negative 20 windchill and the change in attitude it brings. The house is on fire?…”At least I’ll be warm when I go.” Whitetails are chasing does?…”I’ll be home late honey.”
- At some point smell freezes right? Right??
- Long hours in a blind make you become philosophical. To shoot or not to shoot, that is the question.
- A foot of snow is a welcome sign because it makes it easier to trail blood, unless that foot of snow is on top of your trail.
- The shivering isn’t from buck fever.
- Cleaning a deer is a welcome sign, if only because it temporarily warms your hands.
- Hanging deer makes your trees look like redneck Christmas trees.
We’ve personally experienced one of these, I’ve experienced them all within the last week. If you have anymore to add to the list, we’d love to hear from you. Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The author’s view while hunting public land found on Powderhook.com in western Nebraska.
1) It’s just a squirrel. Again. Just a ^&#*@# squirrel.
2) That nice shooter buck you’ve been patterning for a month? Yeah, he’ll be on the other side of the county come opener. Continue reading 11 things every avid deer hunter understands
Over here at Powderhook, we have been working endlessly on a product that our users will understand and utilize. We have finally released our biggest update all year, including a new feature called “Cards”. Using cards you can establish groups, plan trips and create events. Here is a detailed tutorial about our Cards and why you need them:
Here is a list of the top 5 hunting/fishing trips to take with your dad at some point in your lifetime:
Elk or Mule Deer Hunting in Colorado
Hunting elk or mule deer in the Colorado Rockies is not a walk in the park. Miles and miles of hiking must be done to pursue the game you are after and it requires persistence, determination, and teamwork to make it a successful hunt. They say that going though something challenging with someone will bring you closer together and that is exactly what this hunt will provide. Being surrounded by beautiful mountains and vast amounts of opportunity will provide for a great trip, no matter what the outcome may be.
Okay, three of them are epic. One of them is a homemade video we put together to let you know Powderhook just launched the largest ever upgrade to its website. We’ll let you decide which is which!